Learn about Centmin Mod LEMP Stack today
Register Now
  1. Letsencrypt SSL Certificate integration via public beta testing of acmetool.sh addon has begun !. Centmin Mod LEMP powered sites will be able to automatically get free SSL certificates to use with their Nginx HTTP/2 based SSL enabled web sites. To help test Letsencrypt SSL integration, read instructions here.

Dismiss Notice

Additions to custom_config.inc for persistent NGINX .conf

Discussion in 'Feature Requests & Suggestions' started by ethanpil, Dec 16, 2016.

1. ethanpil

ethanpil Active Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Ratings:
    +59
    Local Time:
    12:11 PM
    I would guess that most centminmod users are fairly experienced with linux/nginx/servers, etc, and its quite common to customize the nginx.conf files.

Usually we append or prepend to the location{} command of vhosts in NGINX. Or maybe play with try_files commands, or even setup unique and favorite custom nginx configurations.

It will be quite useful to make these customization more automated, persistent and reproducible.

Some examples:

1. Often, I manually create sites for wordpress Option 2 instead of 22 because I have my special caching and security settings and exceptions for WP.

2. Often I install another PHP framework or application that has its own recommended NGINX directives.

3. I am thinking of prepending try_files to check if there is a __BILLING.html file in the root folder which I am creating when account is past due (and deleting when paid), to make a simple billing enforcement for clients.

Anyway I have many specialized kinds of servers with some unique commands always used in nginx and with centmin its hard to update without worry of losing all the extra work. Each new server is also a lot of configuration. I wish I can easily tell centminmod I always want it to add this to conf files when creating a new domain, or updating a conf file. Its easy to modify centmin source code but then its not persistent for updates and not easy to replicate across server.

My idea is to add these optional settings to /etc/centminmod/custom_config.inc:

Code:
    NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND=filename1
    NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND=filename2
    NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE=filename3
    NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER=filename4
    RUN_AFTER_NEWVHOST=filename1

Lets see how this works:

Code:
    NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND=filename1

When centminmod is writing the location{}  block of a new vhost, then prepend the contents of filename1  at the top of location{

Code:
    NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND=filename1

When centminmod is writing the location{}  block of a new vhost, then append the contents of filename1  at the end of  location{  }  --before the closing brace

Code:
    NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE=filename1

When centminmod is writing the location{}  block of a new vhost, then include the file of filename1  before location{}

Code:
    NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER=filename1

When centminmod is writing the location{}  block of a new vhost, then include the file of filename1  after location{}

Code:
    NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER=filename1

When centminmod is writing the location{}  block of a new vhost, then include the file of filename1  after location{}

This way its for anyone setup all common favorite nginx settings on servers and can easily replicate customization across them and can also upgrade without worry.

I can easily setup my own default wordpress configurations and exceptions for plugins, or even custom try_files blocks if I want to get crazy.

Bonus :)
    To go even farther, I would love to be able to execute a custom bash script at the end of vhost creation with vars accessible to the script like vhostname and vhostpath . This can be used if I want to setup my own notifications or databases, files, frameworks, etc...

Code:
    RUN_AFTER_NEWVHOST=filename1

So, with these functions for all new servers we can install as usual and then simply upload our unique customizations /etc/centminmod or even /etc/centminmod/custom and then all customization will be persistent and easily reproducible. It can even become a way to create 'plugins'.

I would love to see these power tools added to the incredible system, it will really make persistent customization a breeze.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +7,852
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.11.x
    MariaDB 5.5
  3. ethanpil

ethanpil Active Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Ratings:
    +59
    Local Time:
    As you see, in the original thread I have the same request... :)
    This variation is more useful and generic... Would make it very easy to automate deployment of CMM...

• Like Like x 1
  4. ethanpil

ethanpil Active Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Ratings:
    +59
    Local Time:
    Maybe I am silly. Isn't this just a matter of editing two files?

centmin.sh #at the top where setting defaults

Code:
    #Dont include additional NGINX conf directives by default
    NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND=''
    NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND=''
    NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE=''
    NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER=''
    RUN_AFTER_NEWVHOST=''

inc/nginx_addvhost.inc - At top:
    Code:
    #load custom NGINX configuration content

if [ "${NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND}" != '' ] && [ -f "${CONFIGSCANBASE}/{NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND}" ];
    then 
       NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND_CONTENT=$( cat {NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND} )
    else 
       NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND_CONTENT=''
    fi

if [ "${NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND}" != '' ] && [ -f "${CONFIGSCANBASE}/{NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND}" ];
    then 
       NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND_CONTENT=$( cat {NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND} )
    else 
       NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND_CONTENT=''
    fi

if [ "${NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE}" != '' ] && [ -f "${CONFIGSCANBASE}/{NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE}" ];
    then 
       NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE_CONTENT=$( cat {NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE} )
    else 
       NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE_CONTENT=''
    fi

if [ "${NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER}" != '' ] && [ -f "${CONFIGSCANBASE}/{NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER}" ];
    then 
       NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER_CONTENT=$( cat {NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER} )
    else 
       NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER_CONTENT=''
    fi

Then 123.09beta01/inc/nginx_addvhost.inc

Add in line 648, and add in line 746
    Code:
    $NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE_CONTENT

Add in line 648, add in line 765
    Code:
    $NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER_CONTENT

Add in line 650, and add in line 748
    Code:
    $NGINX_LOCATION_PREPEND_CONTENT

Add in line 665, add in line 763
    Code:
    $NGINX_LOCATION_APPEND_CONTENT

Add in Line 533
    Code:
    if [ "${RUN_AFTER_NEWVHOST}" != '' ] && [ -f "${CONFIGSCANBASE}/{RUN_AFTER_NEWVHOST}" ];
    then
       source RUN_AFTER_NEWVHOST
    fi

• Like Like x 1
  5. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +7,852
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.11.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    maybe looks good but as I've been sick for past 3 weeks and still sick it's not the time to test and look into yet :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +7,852
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.11.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    2 line 648s ?

7. ethanpil

ethanpil Active Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Ratings:
    +59
    Local Time:
    Of course mate! Feel better. I was just trying to verify my thought. I hope we can test it once you feel better...

Sorry about that. The second 648 should be 675. Seems I can no longer edit the original post...

Add in line 648, and add in line 746
    Code:
    $NGINX_LOCATION_BEFORE_CONTENT

Add in line 675, add in line 765
    Code:
    $NGINX_LOCATION_AFTER_CONTENT

8. ethanpil

ethanpil Active Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Ratings:
    +59
    Local Time:
    Hope you are feeling better?Any chance we can test this soon? :)

9. eva2000

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +7,852
    Local Time:
    Nginx 1.11.x
    MariaDB 5.5