Discover Centmin Mod today
Register Now

Letsencrypt SSL Adding Let's Encrypt after vhost creation?

Discussion in 'Domains, DNS, Email & SSL Certificates' started by SneakyDave, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Ratings:
    +21
    Local Time:
    2:09 AM
    I'd like to try and test out centminmod's Let's Encrypt functionality, but I'm moving vhosts from one server to another, and I'd like to make sure that they can operate without SSL before enabling Let's Encrypt.

So, can I create a non-ssl vhost, and then use centminmod to enable Let's Encrypt later, or do I have to choose the Let's Encrypt option when the vhost configuration is created?

The real issue is that I don't want to create an DSN A record for my sites before they're ready to move yet.

2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Ratings:
    +21
    Local Time:
    Also, is there a centminmod function to remove a vhost, it's config files, and ftp accounts associated with it?

Or does this suffice?
    Remove the vhost from /home/nginx/domains
    Remove the vhost directory from /usr/local/nginx/conf/ssl
    Remove the config files from /usr/local/nginx/conf/conf.d
    Remove the ftp user (pure-pw userdel [theusername])

What else?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  3. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Ratings:
    +21
    Local Time:
    On second thought, most of my sites run through CloudFlare, so I don't think the centminmod auto-Let's Encrypt function would even work with that. Seems like I'd have to set up a non-SSL vhost through centmin, and then follow these steps to use Let's Encrypt, or maybe just use CloudFlare's own SSL layer.

4. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Active Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Ratings:
    +76
    Local Time:
    4:09 AM
    Nginx 1.13.9
    MariaDB 10.1.31
    You can do both.

See this for migrating - Migrating Existing Nginx Vhost From HTTP to HTTP/2 based HTTPS With Letsencrypt SSL Certificates
    Nope. Just delete them.
    It works and I think @eva2000 recommended it in a post here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +11,449
    Local Time:
    5:09 PM
    Nginx 1.13.x
    MariaDB 5.5
    For all things Centmin Mod letsencrypt related you can bookmark this url https://centminmod.com/acmetool which also links to 2 centminmod.com hosted guides for fresh vhost with letsencrypt and for existing non-https vhost migration to https with letsencrypt
    Official site has page dealing with adding and deleting nginx vhosts - How to delete Nginx vhost account for existing domain/subdomain ?

Centmin Mod nginx letsencrypt would work with cloudflare as letsencrypt validation is via webroot file based not DNS validation but only works to extent of renewal or issuance of backend Centmin Mod nginx letsencrypt ssl cert but you won't see it on browser/user side as Cloudflare ssl cert would be in front. But in this case, you can set Cloudflare ssl from flexible ssl to strict ssl so that Cloudflare talks to Centmin Mod nginx letsencrypt backed HTTPS backend.