Want more timely Centmin Mod News Updates?
Become a Member

Nginx 404 not triggering

Discussion in 'Install & Upgrades or Pre-Install Questions' started by noly, Jul 30, 2017.

1. noly

noly Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +28
    Local Time:
    2:06 PM
    1.18.x
    10.2.x
    • CentOS Version: CentOS 7 64bit
    • Centmin Mod Version Installed: 123.09beta01
    • Nginx Version Installed: 1.13.3
    • PHP Version Installed: 7.0.20
    • MariaDB MySQL Version Installed: 10.1.25
    • When was last time updated Centmin Mod code base : code is uptodate
    • Persistent Config:
      NGXDYNAMIC_NGXPAGESPEED='y'
      NGINX_PAGESPEED='y'
      LETSENCRYPT_DETECT=’y’
      ACMEDEBUG='y'
      PUREFTPD_DISABLED=y

So here is the issue i am facing...

Story behind:

In my logs i saw that google and bings bots are trying to access files which are not exisiting.
    After research i found out that there is a site (let's call it competitor.com) pointing with bad links to my site.
    Google and Bing are following those links which results in countless errors of files not found.
    I guess that harms the ranking of the site so i created a .txt with all those links and told Google & Bing to disavow them.
    Hope that helps. -_-

Nginx challenges:

The 404 error page is triggered correctly when trying to access a non-exisiting file in root...

For example..

domain.com/_i-dont-exist.php or domain.com/_directory-not-exisiting_

..shows correctly the 404 page but doesn't redirect to it.

The error page is triggered BUT the assets (domain.com/subdirectory/css & domain.com/subdirectory/js etc.) are not loaded when trying to access...

domain.com/_directory-not-exisiting_/_i-dont-exist.php or domain.com/_directory-not-exisiting_/_directory-not-exisiting_

The error page is NOT triggered AND the assets (domain.com/subdirectory/css & domain.com/subdirectory/js etc.) are not loaded when trying to access...

domain.com/_i-exist.php/_i-dont-exist.php or domain.com/_i-exist.php/_directory-not-exisiting_

I think i tried already tons of different ways of modificating "try_files $uri $uri/ /.." but unfortunately none of them worked.
    Obviously it seems to work correctly at centminmod.com ...just without the redirect. I would be fine with that too though. ;-)

Anyone got an idea/solution or can point me to the right direction please?

2. eva2000

eva2000 Administrator Staff Member

May 24, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ratings:
    +15,824
    Local Time:
    10:06 PM
    Nginx 1.17.x
    MariaDB 5.5/10.x
    1st and 2nd examples are as expected - there's no redirect just 404 error

2nd example expected due to how your style references css/js files + - there's no redirect just 404 error

3. for security php-fpm/nginx isn't configured to parse php after .php so .php/file/direct/etc won't work anyway and if you have php web app like wordpress, drupal, xenforo, .php not found is handled by those web apps not centmin mod nginx.php

3. noly

noly Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Germany
    Ratings:
    +28
    Local Time:
    2:06 PM
    1.18.x
    10.2.x
    Thanks for replying. :)

1. behaviour as expected, yes.
    2. thanks for pointing me to the right direction....sure, one can set e.g. <base href..>

3. true..wordpress handles that right. But on that specific site i am using plain php.

domain.com/_i-exist.php/_i-dont-exist.php

...shows the _i-exist.php but assets are not loaded (404) because they are at root ( /assets).

Yes, i could <base href..>-it too...but i have a feeling that that's not the way to do it.
    Do you agree?
    Any idea how wp handles that?